Meat, veggies, pasta, plenty of cheese, and a rich creamy sauce… hungry yet?
This cheesy baked pasta casserole is my family’s favorite!
I’ve been making it ever since I first saw Shireen Anwer make it on Masala Mornings nine years ago. Which is why I am reposting this recipe because the pictures and the writing in the original post do not do justice to how awesome this recipe is.
Creamy, cheesy, and oh so comforting! This saucy pasta baked together with ground beef is a crowd-pleasing, no fuss meal which can be a perfect addition to your iftar table.
It is easy to make using basic ingredients and it is a great one to prepare early in the day and then bake in the evening right before iftar time.
This is one recipe your family is going to absolutely LOVE. So easy to make and even more delicious to eat!
The next time you want an incredibly easy weeknight dinner or something new for ifar, give this loaded cheesy pasta bake a try! And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #spatulainmypocket on Instagram.
Cheesy Baked Pasta
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic paste, heaped
1 carrot, chopped
½ kilo ground beef
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, leveled
½ cup tomato paste
½ cup sliced mushrooms
2 Tablespoon butter
4 Tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon white or black pepper
½ teaspoon mustard powder
1 cup chicken stock/water
1 cup whole milk
2 Tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
1 packet of pasta of your choice
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. In a pan, heat oil. Fry the chopped onion till it changes color and becomes soft. Add in the ginger garlic paste and fry till golden brown. Add in the carrot. Mix. Then add in the beef and mushrooms. Mix well on high heat for a few minutes. Then add in the; chili flakes, salt, and black pepper. Keep mixing till meat changes color. Then add in a cup of water along with tomato paste. Mix, cover, and leave to cook on low heat for 30-40 minutes.
2. While sauce is simmering, cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain.
3. Add drained pasta to the meat sauce, mix and turn off heat. Put the pasta mixture into a large casserole dish and set aside.
4. For the white sauce: In a small saucepan, heat the butter. Once melted, take the pan off the heat and add in the flour, salt, black pepper, and mustard powder. Mix well using a wooden spoon and bring back to heat. Cook for a minute before adding in the stock and milk. On low-medium heat, mix continuously till the sauce thickens. Remove off the heat and add in the cheddar cheese.
5. Pour the entire sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and oregano on top.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbly.