Super moist and rich double chocolate zucchini bread that tastes just like chocolate fudge cake only better!
Did you grow up eating zucchini bread?
I for one did not and I’m pretty sure none of my fellow Pakistanis did either. I didn’t even know we had zucchini in Pakistan until just recently!
Incase you are as clueless as I am, zucchini is indeed available in Pakistan.
It’s grown all year round, called ‘maaru’ in Urdu, is pale green in color, high in water content and bland in taste which makes it the perfect addition to baked goods.
It was a no-brainer I’d pick ‘Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread’ as my first zucchini recipe because, well:
a. its chocolate
b. its DOUBLE CHOCOLATE
Just look at it.
It screams deliciousness!
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ve probably noticed that I’m a huge fan of fruit and vegetable based baked goods.
^case in point
I don’t know who the crazy genius was behind the idea of incorporating vegetables in baking, but whoever it was, know that I LOVE YOU enormously.
I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical about putting in a mound of shredded green vegetable in a chocolate bread but the result blew.me.away!
It was deliciously moist, intense and chocolatey.
And the zucchini completely disappeared!
You can’t tell the zucchini is in there unless you’re looking for it. Which is why even my super picky, non-vegetable sisters went for seconds and thirds. We ended up devouring the entire loaf in a matter of minutes. ^.^
This double chocolate zucchini bread is perfect for anytime of the day, in any season and pairs wonderfully with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
I like it best when its fresh out of the oven. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature and warmed in the microwave for a few seconds or until all the chocolate bits are melty and gooey…Mmm.
Go buy some zucchinis and make this bread right now!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Prep Time: 15 minutes Yields: 1 loaf
Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (42g) cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled1
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (225g) packed shredded zucchini
¾ cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips, divided
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Grease a 9×5 or 8×4 loaf pan. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar until smooth.
5. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over-mix. Stir in the shredded zucchini until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out mostly clean. All ovens vary so keep an eye out after about 50 minutes. Mine takes 60 minutes to cook perfectly.
7. Remove the pan from the oven. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the bread and carefully remove from the pan. Let the bread cool until slightly warm before cutting into slices and serving.
1. I use salted butter. If using unsalted butter, increase the amount of salt by just a smidgen.
2. Shred the zucchini with the peel on.
3. Leftover bread can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Recipe source: Two Peas & Their Pod