| Simple Strawberry Cake
· 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
· 1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 cup (200 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
· 1 large egg, at room temperature
· 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
· 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
· 1 pound (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved
Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease a 9 or 10-inch baking pan or Pyrex dish with butter or oil. Line the bottom with parchment or wax paper.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3-5 minutes.
Mix in egg, milk and vanilla until just combined.
Add dry mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
Transfer batter into prepared pan and smooth with spatula.
Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, in a single layer. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
Bake cake until golden brown about 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan before slicing.
* If using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt to a ¼ tsp.
**Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, for up to 2 days.