A fresh, light (yet dense!), and incredibly moist cake – the perfect treat to bake during quarantine, and enjoy with a cup of tea.
This cake comes together really easily with ingredients you more than likely already have in your kitchen. It is also an excellent way to make use of the juicy strawberries in season.
I also got to use my heart shaped pan, which I often feel gets neglected.
Do not do what I did, which is to try and tip out the cake from the pan!
This cake is way too delicate to be removed from a regular cake pan. Please use a spring from pan with a removable bottom or use any pie dish and serve the cake straight from it.
Here are some other juicy strawberry bakes you might like:
Strawberries and Cream Sponge Cake
Buttermilk pancakes with strawberry compote
Stay home, stay safe, and bake on.
| Simple Strawberry Cake
· 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
· 1 1/2 cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
· 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 cup (200 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (25 grams) granulated sugar
· 1 large egg, at room temperature
· 1/2 cup (118 ml) milk
· 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
· 1 pound (450 grams) strawberries, hulled and halved
* If using salted butter, reduce the amount of salt to a ¼ tsp.
**Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, for up to 2 days.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart